16 August 2022
Moscow: 16:20
London: 14:20

Consular queries:  
+44 (0) 203 161 8858  
[email protected]  

1626 days have passed since the Salisbury incident - no credible information or response from the British authorities                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     1618 days have passed since the death of Nikolay Glushkov on British soil - no credible information or response from the British authorities


In 1924 after the establishment of diplomatic relations between the USSR and Great Britain the embassy of the USSR was originally located in the building of the former Imperial embassy - Chesham House which had been rented by the Russian Imperial government for a period of 50 years. It was situated in that house till May, 25th, 1927 when diplomatic relations were suspended by the UK Government. In 1929 after restoration of diplomatic relations with the USSR searches of suitable premises started. In 1930 a South African businessman and "wool millionaire" Sir Lewis Richardson agreed to hand over the private residence, 13 Kensington Palace Gardens, to the Crown for the Soviet embassy.

Initially the terrain of Kensington Palace Gardens belonged to the Kensington palace. In XVII-XVIII centuries this palace, which was at that time a country residence of British kings, played an important role, and currently remains home for some members of the British Royal Family. In 1841, by a special Act of Parliament a "kitchen garden" of 28 acres (about 11 hectares) was cut off from the lands of the Kensington palace and on this "kitchen garden" there was a street - Kensington Palace Gardens gradually acquiring two lines of rich private residences.

No. 13 is one of the biggest houses in the road. The house was constructed in 1852 for Leicester FitzGerald Charles Stanhope, the fifth Earl of Harrington, at a cost of about £15,000. The original design for the exterior for No. 13 was made by Mr. Burton. The works were carried out under the superintendence of Mr. C. J. Richardson. Lord Harrington agreed on condition that he should be allowed to build the house in his favourite style the Gothic. The family of Harrington owned the house until the First World War. Lord Harrington was living in the house by July 1853, and in December 1854 he was granted the lease but then the house began to pass from hand to hand, yet didn’t become Lewis Richardson’s property. On house collars nevertheless long the inscription "Harrington House" still remained and only at placing in it of the Soviet embassy the inscription was painted over and replaced by the number 13.

The internal interior of a building is typical for the London private residences of second half of 19th century. Despite a number of refurbishments, it substantially remained in its original form. Some of the antiques decorating the halls, including paintings by Russian and Soviet artists were specially brought from Moscow.




6/7 Kensington Palace Gardens, London, W8 4QP


Residence of the Ambassador:

13 Kensington Palace Gardens, London, W8 4QX


Consular Section:

5 Kensington Palace Gardens, London W8 4QS


Telephone Embassy: +44 (0) 20 72431410,  +44 (0) 20 72214482
Fax Embassy: +44 (0) 20 7727 8625


Telephone Consular Section (PASSPORT, VISA, etc): +44 (0) 203 668 7474 
Fax Consular Section: +44 (0) 20 7229 3215


Internet:   www.rusemb.org.uk

Youtube:   www.youtube.com/russianembassy

Twitter:     www.twitter.com/russianembassy

Facebook:  www.facebook.com/pages/RussianEmbassy


[email protected] -                    Consular queries

[email protected] -           Citizenship and adopted children queries

[email protected] -               Notary queries

[email protected] -              Passport queries



How to get there: