25 October 2020
Moscow: 03:24
London: 01:24

Consular queries:  
+44 (0) 203 668 7474  

966 days have passed since the Salisbury incident - no credible information or response from the British authorities                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     958 days have passed since the death of Nikolay Glushkov on British soil - no credible information or response from the British authorities


The Consulate and Visa Section is normally open to the public from Monday to Friday excluding the following Russian official holidays:

  • 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 January — New Year Holidays;
  • 7 January — Christmas, Russian Orthodox;
  • 23 February — Protector of Motherland Day;
  • 8 March — International Women’s Day;
  • 1 May — Spring and Labor Day;
  • 9 May — Victory Day (Over German Nazism in the WW2);
  • 12 June — Day of Russia;
  • 4 November — Day of the National Unity.

It may occasionally be necessary to close the section for operational reasons in addition to the dates listed above.


A Reciprocal Health Care Agreement is in operation between the UK and Russia. This entitles UK citizens to free emergency treatment in a Russian hospital. However, it is advisable that travellers take out full insurance cover for medical treatment and accidents.


You may import into the country up to $10,000 (or equivalent) without declaring it. You may export from the country up to $3,000 without declaring it. If you export from the country a sum of money over $3,000 and up to $10,000 it must be declared on departure.

If you import into the country a sum of money over $10,000 or certain categories of goods such as more costly electrical items, jewellery/antiquites and valuable musical instruments you must complete a customs declaration form (available at all ports of entry) on arrival.

If you are exporting from the country a sum of over $10,000 you must provide documentary proof that you either imported it into the country or have legally obtained it whilst in the country.

If you wish to import certain sophisticated electronic items (e.g. Global Positioning System instruments), you must get an operating licence from the Russian authorities before you travel. If you are unsure whether you should declare an item or need an operating license you should check with the Russian Embassy before your departure.

If you complete a declaration form you must ensure that it is stamped by a Customs official at your port of entry or it will not be valid. If you fail to complete a declaration form on arrival or to get it validated by Customs officials your foreign currency and non-declared items may be confiscated when you leave Russia and you may be fined.

Please note that all animal-derived products (including food) can only be imported, in any quantities, including hand luggage and checked-in luggage, with a written permission of the State Veterinary Inspection.

See www.customs.ru for more information.


Visitors should be registered within 7 working days of arrival in Russia with the local branch of the Migration Service. Most major hotels will do this automatically. Visitors need not be registered if their visits last less than three days.


Russian companies that wish to employ foreign labour in Russia must apply for a general permit to do so. General permits are issued by regional divisions of the Ministry of Ethnic and Migration Policy and are issued for one year, which may be extended on request. For each individual foreign national, a Russian company requires a “confirmation” of the right to work which is, in effect, a personal work permit. Certain categories of employees are not covered by these requirements, including employees of foreign embassies, scientists and artists working in institutions established in accordance with international agreements, journalists accredited in Russia, crew members of ships and boats, and students on study internships.

Work permits are issued by regional subdivisions of the Federal Migration Service and the exact terms and conditions may therefore vary from region to region (see FMS Moscow official site (in Russian only) . The documents to be submitted with the work permit include:

  • copies of passport and visa;
  • results of an HIV test;
  • copy of the employment contract;
  • copy of the tax registration certificate of the employer;
  • copies of the employer’s statutory incorporation documents.


Individuals who are employed by representative offices of foreign companies may apply to the registration body where the representative office is accredited for their own personal accreditation — for example, the State Registration (SRC) will accredit a representative office and will usually allow that representative office to accredit up to five individuals. On application this number may be increased.

Personal accreditation confirms the official status of a representative office’s employee and gives that individual the right to work in Russia without needing a separate personal work permit from the Federal Migration Service. Family members of employees may also be granted personal accreditation. The validity of personal accreditation is linked to the term of accreditation of the representative office and thus personal accreditation may be extended only after the accreditation of the representative office of a foreign company is extended.